3rd Seminar School on
Introduction to Deep Learning
UPC ETSETB TelecomBCN (January 22 - 28, 2020)
Previous editions:   [All DL courses]
Deep learning technologies are at the core of the current revolution in artificial intelligence for multimedia data analysis. The convergence of large-scale annotated datasets and affordable GPU hardware has allowed the training of neural networks for data analysis tasks which were previously addressed with hand-crafted features. Architectures such as convolutional neural networks, recurrent neural networks or Q-nets for reinforcement learning have shaped a brand new scenario in signal processing. This course will cover the basic principles of deep learning from both an algorithmic and computational perspectives.
Lectures (50%) - Room: D5-010
Course will be divided in modules of half an hour covering the following topics:
- 22/01 14:00 D1L1 (XG) Welcome
- 22/01 14:30 D1L2 (XG) Machine Learning [PDF]
- 22/01 15:10 D1L3 (XG) Perceptron [PDF]
- 22/01 15:25 D1L3 (XG) Softmax Regression [PDF]
- 22/01 15:45 D1L5 (XG) Multi-Layer Perceptron ] [PDF]
- 23/01 14:00 D2L1 (XG) Backpropagation [Slideshare] [PDF]
- 23/01 14:30 D2L2 (VV) Convolutional Neural Networks - CNNs
- 23/01 15:30 D2L3 (JR) Loss functions
- 23/01 16:00 D2L4 (JR) Methodology
- 24/01 14:00 D3L1 (VV) Optimizers I
- 24/01 14:30 D3L2 (VV) Optimizers II
- 24/01 15:00 D3L3 (RM) Transfer learning I
- 24/01 15:30 D3L4 (RM) Transfer learning II
- 27/01 14:00 D4L1 (MRC) Recurrent Neural Networks - RNNs
- 27/01 14:30 D4L2 (MRC) Gated RNNs
- 27/01 15:00 D4L3 (MRC) Attention Models
- 27/01 15:30 D4L4 (MRC) Attention Models
Project (50%) - Room: D5-004
Students will work in teams to develop a machine learning research project that will be presented in an oral presentation during the final day of the course.
- Study Programs: Bachelor degrees at at ETSETB TelecomBCN and [Centre de Formació Interdisciplinària Superior (CFIS)(http://cfis.upc.edu/ca) from the Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya.
- Course code and official guide: 230325 - IDL
- ECTS credits: 2 ECTS
- Teaching language: English
- Semester: Autumn 2018
- Class Schedule: 22, 23, 24, 27 & 28 January 2020 (2pm-4pm Lectures, 4pm-6pm Lab)
- Capacity: 40 students
- Location: Campus Nord UPC, Module D5, Room 010
- Course on Piazza
Registration procedure depends on the student profile:
- Bachelor students at ETSETB who can register the 2 ECTS: Follow the regular schedule from your academic office. There is an extraordinary registration period in mid January.
- Master students at ETSETB: This Winter School is a light version of the full MSc course of Deep learning for Artificial Intelligence, taught during the Autumn semester. So we encourage you to sign up for this other one.
- Students at UPC but not in ETSETB: Contact the your academic office and request being allowed to take this course. If accepted, contact ETSETB academic office and request more details. Industry: Those industry members interested in the topic are encouraged to apply for the UPC School postgradute course on Artificial Intelligence with Deep Learning, running between November 2018 and April 2020.